Victory! President Trump signed S. 204, the "Right to Try Act," into law on May 30th, 2018
FDA : Grant Patients the Right To Try!
This petition is now closed.
A terminal diagnosis is the worst-case scenario for a person's health. Unfortunately, thousands of people each year learn that they have an illness which will ultimately be fatal.
These people deserve the chance to try any medical treatment that could possibly help them. Right now, government red tape prevents many of these patients from trying treatments that have not yet made it through the lengthy and expensive FDA approval process.
I am signing this letter asking you to grant the nationwide Right to Try.
When someone is facing a terminal diagnosis, they are told they are out of options. But innovative organizations are creating new medical treatments and drugs every day. It takes years for a new medicine to go from the development stage to the market - but terminal patients do not have years to wait.
If a new treatment works, the patient's life may be saved - or they may get a better quality of life for a longer time. The risk is that the treatment may have adverse effects. Still, terminal patients are facing the most adverse effect of all: death. If someone wants to try an experimental treatment, they not only give themselves a chance at a better, longer life - but they give the medical community tremendously valuable information about how the treatment affects real patients.
Fewer than 3% of terminal patients are accepted into clinical trials. The remaining 97% need the Right to Try in order to gain access to treatments still in the FDA approval pipeline. These treatments have all passed the first phase of the FDA approval process. They're not Wild Card options - they're researched and tested. All that's standing in the way is government red tape.
I want the FDA to approve the Right to Try for all terminal patients nationwide. Return the power to patients and their doctors - this will save lives and advance medical knowledge.