Keep Emerald Hills Green
The mission of Keep Emerald Hills Green is to inform residents about the intention for the Emerald Hills Country Club’s proposed development, create a unified voice opposing the proposed development, and advocate these oppositions to the City of Hollywood leadership in an effort to maintain all existing land use and zoning.
Priorities for the residents of Emerald Hills
1. Preserve overall feel of the community. Our homeowners are proud to be a family friendly community among the existing homeownership.
2. Protect green space. We value the golf course both for its views and the opportunity for outdoor activity. Many of our residents moved to the area for the opportunity to be a member of the Country Club.
3. Maintaining property values. Homeowners that purchased property in Emerald Hills expect to maintain property values based on the existing composition of the neighborhood. In order to maintain, or increase, values, the current development proposition would defeat that purpose.
4. Maintain current level of density. Emerald Hills currently adapts to the traffic and density increases that currently exist. Any additional proposed development would increase the level in population density and traffic that would be unmanageable.
Three years ago the Emerald Hills Country Club and golf course was purchased by First Eagle Management LLC, a company owned solely by Todd Schoenwetter. Mr. Schoenwetter now claims that the property is presently not financially viable and states that in order to regain that financial viability, the proposed redevelopment plan is required. The owner also cited the declining interest in golf clubs across the country. The Emerald Hills Golf Club is one of the most prestigious golf courses in South Florida.
Plan of action
A committee has been formed to put together a plan to ensure that the Emerald Hills Country Club remain a high quality golf course property that provides benefits not only to the membership, but to all of Hollywood.
The following strategies will be implemented
1. An online petition will be created demanding that the City of Hollywood deny any request to change the land use or zoning, and deny any application for special exemption. The property is currently zoned as country club and its land use is open space and recreational.
2. The committee will solicit membership that is aligned with the petition. The purpose of the membership will be to show support from the community. No funds are currently being sought for membership, though, based on need that may change in the future.
What happens when I sign